Friday, June 10, 2005

City Transplants

While performing miracles on some of my clients the conversation gets interesting. Almost everyone I do is a transplant to this town. That's unusual for me because in my hometown everybody is born and raised there and most stay there for life.

It's interesting to hear the views on the city that I live in now. Most describe it as a cliquey town, which is unusual since you would think that if it was cliquey, all those groups of people would have been born and raised here and would've been friends all their life, and when somebody new came to town they would be less likely to accept them in their circle of friends. But, most of the people here are new to this town, only being here for a few years like me. So my thought is that everybody is feeling the same way I feel....like you don't have roots here....like there is something missing.....and if that's the case I believe thats why everyone must feel like an outsider. So instead of us thinking that people are being arrogant or unfriendly, we should be thinking that they're just afraid to be out-going and worried about what the other person might think of them.

I think the idea that this city is full of cliquey people is a misconception. Because from what I've seen and heard, nobody really knows anybody here. It's hard when you move to a new place where you don't know people. The hardest thing for me is learning who I can trust...as a friend...someone that I can really confide in.

But luckily there are really nice people coming into the salon...people that I want to get to know....people that I would probably have a lot in common with. So, in that regard going to work is a good outlet for me. And, out of all the girls I work with, I like just about all of them. I'm really happy that I've gone back to work....I'm lucky that I love what I do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

It's good to hear you being happy! Remember what I told you........... I don't think you can really trust anyone in a new place like that. I know at work, you just don't know who to trust, so you just shut up. I trust family, and that's it!

6:23 PM, June 10, 2005  
Blogger Susan said...

PS Getting my haircut tomorrow....wish you were here to do it!

7:30 PM, June 10, 2005  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I too, am happy you feel so contented.

Most people these days are transplanted from one place or stream of conciousness or another.

BTW: as a golden lover, you will probably really enjoy this Pez dispenser, Jen!

Have a great weekend.

8:50 PM, June 11, 2005  
Blogger k said...

like you, i'm also a transplant, I think in the same city as you, cause what you described is the city I live in.
Just stumbled upon your blog...
Good read.
K

9:14 PM, June 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home